The filler I applied to that corroded patch in the nacelle had gone off, so sanded and painted
The patch is right at the bottom, dead centre on that photo. You can just about make it out. I'm not overly happy with the finish, but, it's the best I could do with the equipment available to me. It looks better anyway
ALSO, I located the source of the oil leak on the cherry picker:
It's not a part I'm familiar with on a car engine. If anyone has any knowledge of lorry engines, I'd appreciate your input!
Frustrating day today. The cherry picker hasn't been fixed yet and, probably, won't be. It turns out it's the pump, not just the seals. The owner is reluctant to pay for a new pump as it would cost more than the truck is worth. The search is on for a suitable pump on site. We think there might be one we can use on an older truck.
My height issues were made worse when the platform I was using seized up. So I spent a couple of hours lubricating stuff and whacking things with hammers. I got it working again though.
I only had enough time left to do this:
Finished painting that panel and started to de-moss the next one.
Good day today! The weather was perfect and allowed me to crack on.
We've inflated the main gear as much as we dare, at least the tyres don't look flat now. Also, we've managed to get the tail jack out of the mud and retracted, so, the aircraft has been pulled forwards, enough to get the tail jack on the concrete. It's been in the mud for a few weeks and has seized a bit, so, we've drowned it in oil and are giving it a few days to work.
After all that, I didn't have much time to paint, but...
Post by Chris Trott on Mar 28, 2012 22:48:28 GMT -5
Looks like you're continuing to make good progress.
What size are those placard text? I may be able to get you some oilboard stencils made if they're a standard size as I know several people who have stencil machines. That way you won't have the (frankly) odd looking boxes around them.
Post by Chris Trott on Mar 29, 2012 23:03:21 GMT -5
Can you check the size on the stencils just to be sure? The WWII era machines that I have access to come in 3 different sizes. When I was at Air Tahoma we had a set (sadly I'm sure they're gone by now) for the 240 and 580. It was all painted on, no matter the size because it was just easier to do it that way. Only when we got into the registration and really big letters did we go to vinyl stickers/transfers.
Post by Chris Trott on Mar 30, 2012 22:07:28 GMT -5
Also, if the stencil sizes aren't "standard", I also know a couple of companies that can make vinyl transfers to the exact specifications for a fairly reasonable price as long as I have good pics of the placards.
Sometime in the past couple of weeks, I finished the port side nacelles
I think they look fantastic!
Then today, me, Gregg and Emma set about removing the tail jack. It can't be done with it in situ, believe me we tried!!
We did get it out, but I didn't get a photo. Dear god this thing is HEAVY, it's a good job we had three people! But, it's out now. On Saturday we'll start servicing it and hopefully get it functioning again.
A good team effort today. To give credit where it's due, Gregg did most of the work, but, in the end, it needed three people!
So, we got the Jack outside and, once we'd been able to have a proper look at it, we sorted it fairly easily. It wasn't seized, there's a retaining rod inside that had failed, distorted and was jamming the whole system up. We took out the offending article and that solved the problem.
Here's Gregg, giving the ram some attention before we put it back:
Also, we had a new starter today, Neil. We gave him a glamorous job:
Not the most exciting job in the world, but, we've ALL done a bit of cleaning and painting at some point, hell, that's pretty much ALL I do
So a good day, all in all. Wednesday will see me and Gregg swearing a lot whilst reinstalling the tail jack
HORRENDOUS weather today, luckily, the job of the day was all indoors. It saw Gregg, Emma and myself wrestling with the tail jack, first to get it back into position, then to fix as many bolts before we ran out of time
Just need to attach the footplate (It's in my garage being refurbished) and it's done! It might not seem like much, but, this has been a problem since day one, it's never worked properly. Feel like we turned another corner today!
Next week, we'll exercise the whole hydraulic system and start preening for the open day