This may seem a bit repetitive, but, it was too damp to work outside so did, yet, another panel in the hold. This one was a pain as well! Loads to mask off, the tape wouldn't stick and, for some reason, it needed three coats rather than two.
It looks better now
I was going to start an engine nacelle today, but, way too damp. I did have a look at the paint though. I got this can of grey ages ago and always thought it was too dark, but, other than having separated a bit, it's almost perfect. Maybe a shade dark, but, that'll allow for weathering
Post by Chris Trott on Feb 1, 2012 23:59:21 GMT -5
It looks really nice. I know you guys aren't planning on the old lady ever flying again, but since the props still technically have time on them, painting them is very easy as long as you use sprays.
1) Get automotive paint, preferably Imron if you can find it in cans or if you have an airless sprayer. 2) Strip the entire gray part of the blade with a non-etching powder or chemically with a non-corrosive stripper. Don't mess with the black part or the boot unless you have to. 3) Apply the base coat evenly, same number of passes per blade, same number of coats (i.e. keep them as even as possible in weight). Shouldn't take more than 2 medium coats. 4) Do the stripes last. Use no more than 2 coats, apply the first thin, the second medium.
If you do it like this, you will get a good repaint without having to worrying about voiding the airworthiness (current or future) of the blade. As those blades are extremely rare anymore, you may find that someone comes asking for them one day.
BTW, I know the procedure because I helped repaint a set of the Aeroproducts props on a CV-580.
Post by Chris Trott on Feb 2, 2012 12:26:01 GMT -5
LOL, you might be surprised. Someone like IFL or Kelwona might make you a pretty good offer to swap your props with a timed-out set. They wouldn't just take them and leave you with nothing.
Believe me, those props are getting rarer and rarer. If yours have any time left on them, then someone will be calling one day, maybe even NASA. When they do, the less you've modified them, the better because it'll mean less work for them and less chance of the blades being damaged beyond repair, thus more money for you guys to maintain the plane.
Airbus kept good records (they had to) so your data is probably correct. There are enough L-188's and CV-580s flying out there with that prop still, so the likelihood of someone being interested in a set is high. If you guys really aren't going to consider running or flying it again, you might even want to consider contacting Pacific Propeller, the guys who overhaul all the props for the major operators to see if you can work a deal with them and get something out of it towards the maintenance of the bird.
First day back since my holiday (I got the new bulbs BTW), I spent a lot of time chiselling at this:
on the other side of the nacelle I started. I've bashed all the corroded aluminium off, it was badly de-laminated, and now it's back to good, strong metal. I've sprayed it with acid etching primer, soon I'll fill and sand it ready for paint.
That took quite a while, but I did manage to get a bit of paint on.
Considering I didn't have that much time, I feel like I got a bit done!
Actually had some help today, so, we could finally test the boom on the cherry picker:
I went up in it, not to that height, the basket is too damaged to risk a human at that height. I did go up as high as the cheat line though. It's a very good bit of kit, everything works as it should. We are going to start repairing the basket on Wednesday.
It seems to have developed a fairly serious oil leak though, but, with the speed and location (Filler cap) of where it was coming out, we think it's just a seal.
I also started the work on filling that corrosion hole on the nacelle.