Carried on with the cherry picker today. Reconnected the batteries, half filled the fuel tank and, more in hope than expectation, gave it a go. Started first time! No easy start or anything! She's a bit temperamental, cut out a couple of times. Seems a bit fuel starved so a new filter and maybe a fuel pump may be needed. But for now, she runs! I gave the cab a once over too. About an inch thick layer of moss over 75% of the cab, all gone now.
Next time, we'll be testing the arm!!!
She ain't much to look at, now, but she's perfect!!
Post by Chris Trott on Dec 23, 2011 23:38:13 GMT -5
Looks like you guys have got a very important piece of equipment in hand for a big baby like the Supper Guppy. Hope the boom works without too much fuss. Be sure to drain and refill the hydro and clean the screens before trying it. If you don't, you'll probably end up quickly with a non-op boom. Hydraulic fluid has a bad tendency to go bad if it's left alone for any amount of time.
Had a truck mechanic have a look at the cherry picker today. He said, despite what it looks like, it's (From a mechanical pov) in very good condition. The front brakes are a bit worn and a there IS an airlock in the fuel line, but, that's it. Should have it running smoothly within a couple of weeks
The plan of cleaning the cab head liner will have to be changed though. I started to take it out today and it started to disintegrate, so I left it alone. Will have a look around online and see how much a new one will cost.
I also did the rounds with the grease gun on the aircraft, gave all the cans of paint a good stir to prevent them skinning up, tidied up our work space (Hasn't been done for a while!! ) and drank a lot of coffee
Good day all round, considering the weather was against me!
We've had some fairly serious gales round here, a bit like everywhere else in the UK and she's been moved around a bit. The tail jack has moved from its nice, solid, foundation about 8 inches to the left and onto the soft, wet earth. Consequently, it's sunk about 6 inches into the ground. Can't raise the jack because can't get the push pin out. We need to put the ballast back in, lower the nose and, hopefully, raise the tail.
I was expecting an easy job, removing a blown floodlight from the SB main gear nacelle. WRONG!! I don't think these screws had been moved in 30 years. Most of the heads disintegrated. Out of 8 screws, 3 came out with no trouble, 2 came out with a dose of WD-40 and a whack with the hammer and 3 had to be drilled out. A job that should have taken 5 minutes, took 90. Got it out though. Just need to find a good price for a GE 4502.
Post by Chris Trott on Jan 11, 2012 23:53:37 GMT -5
Looks like the GE 4502 can be had for about $11, so it's not a really expensive light. Just make sure you're going to a non-aviation supplier. Since the plane is static, use of an airworthy version isn't required. Most industrial/commercial lighting suppliers should carry it or be able to get it.