Post by airfreighter on Nov 8, 2011 10:06:40 GMT -5
Greetings Gareth, Nice to have you here. I moved your post over here to the General Forum to allow for better visibility; the activity sections are mainly for spotting reports and flight movements. I am sure over time you'll get plenty of questions about the project. Looks like quite an undertaking! What are your ultimate goals for the Super Guppy? Do you plan on restoring it aesthetically for static display or bring it up to flyable status for airshow visits?
Post by airfreighter on Nov 8, 2011 14:23:39 GMT -5
I think this is a wonderful project. The Super Guppy is such an interesting aircraft and has a rich history in Europe. What is the status of the engines currently on the airplane? Can you fire them up?
The engines that were installed had very few hours on them and were removed and rehoused, pretty much, before they were even cold.
The engines are Allison T-56's (Mounted inverted) and we had hopes of having a set from a scrapped C-130, from RAF Lynham, but, red tape got in the way and they were sold at auction for, I believe, around £10,000 EACH! Way beyond what we could afford!
Weather had turned distinctly Novembery, today, so I set about tidying up before Saturday's event. I've moved another persons junk from under the starboard wing, there was a lot of it too. It's been, lovingly, thrown in a big pile with the rest of his collection of scrap.
By the close of play, however, I had the pan and the aircraft looking quite tidy:
I also collected our, fully charged, battery from the charging hut, fitted into the aircraft (No mean feat, BELIEVE ME!), reset all of the switches that our beloved visitors like to play with and did a quick systems check. Everything lit up light a Christmas tree!
Also, I helped out on Buccaneer XX900, with an anti det run.
But, I've finished the yellow up to the leading edge and made a start, aft of the wings. Here's a photo, for what it's worth, it was almost dark when I took it so it's been edited fairly heavily!
You can just about make out a different shade of yellow under the "SK"
Also, I've had permission from DW (Dave Walton, the owner) to get all the blue paint for the rest of the bands and the lettering, we've reckoned around 50L of one coat stuff, should do it. He's also said that, if I can get it running, the lorry mounted cherry picker is ours. Looking forward to having a go at it, it's been a while since I restored a non-runner.
Day early this week, due to work commitments. ALMOST a worthless trip too, because of the weather, but, I did chase up the blue paint, it should be in by the end of the week.
Also, we've had a bit of a look at the cherry picker, it's in a bit of a mess but definitely NOT a lost cause. The lifting arm is massive, easily big enough for our needs. Andy (One of our crew) is in to old trucks and is chomping at the bit, so, we'll be letting him loose on Thursday. On first glance it looks like it just needs a good clean and an even better service. Might need to get a hydraulics guy in to check the arm before we use it at any real height. Hopefully it won't take too long!
No work done on the ac today, mainly due to the severe winds. I did make a start on the cherry picker though. There's no life in her at all at the minute, so, I wrestled (and I DO mean wrestled) with the battery compartment. It was held in place with a large steel bracket. I reckon the bolts hadn't been loosened in 20 years and due to the world class west midlands engineering (LOL) you couldn't get a socket on both ends of the bolt. Plenty of WD40, a set of stilsons and an extra pair of hands (Thanks Bob!) and they (2x 12v batteries) were free. If I'm honest, I think they're toast but they seem to be drawing a charge. I'll give em a go next week.
I think this will turn in to a rewarding winter project!
Still waiting on the blue paint, hopefully by the end of the week.